Korean government invited online applications for their fully-funded Global Korean Undergrad Scholarships 2022 (GKS-U Scholarships) from international students.
So are you currently in your senior year of high school?
And do you intend to continue your higher education?
If you answered yes to both, then the Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) Program is for you. The Global Korean Undergrad Scholarship (GKS) is a fully funded scholarship available for international undergraduate and postgraduate students who aspire to study in South Korea. Almost all South Korean institutions participate in the Global Korea Scholarship program. In this Global Korea Scholarship program, there are a total of 220 GKS scholarships available for overseas students.
Studying in Korea has become more and more popular. Many international students are learning Korean, enjoying the hospitality of the people here, and immersing themselves in the culture. One way to think of it is that the educational institutions in South Korea are at the level where you find top-rated universities. On top of that, it has a highly advanced education system and rich culture. It’s also known for its stunning scenery.
Some of the most compelling reasons to pursue higher education in Korea include the government’s systematic aid programs, high job opportunities, and decent quality of life. Furthermore, South Korea offers a variety of scholarships to international students who desire to study for free in Korea.
Let me walk you through an overview of what GKS is, how it can benefit you, deadlines, how to apply, and some tips on receiving the scholarship.
Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) Details
Authority: Korean Government
Financial Coverage: Fully Funded
Programs: Bachelor’s Degree, undergraduate, Associate Degree
Degree Duration: Bachelor’s Degree Scholarship for 4-6 years 1-year Korean language program. Associate Degree Scholarship for 2-3 years with 1-year Korean language program.
Number of Scholarships: 220 International Undergraduate Scholarships are available
Opening: September 22, 2021
GKS Deadlines: Vary from university to university. The expected deadline of GKS Scholarship is Jan 30, 2022.
GKS Scholarships Funding Allowance:
The main purpose of the Global Korea Government Scholarship (GKS) is for students to advance Korea Studies in the future, rather than students’ monthly support or reimbursement of expenses during their overseas study period. There are a lot of benefits to this scholarship, some are mentioned here.
- Korean Scholarships are fully supported
- 900,000 KRW per month allowance
- Grants of 100,000 KRW for degree completion
- From home to Korea, a free round-trip flight is provided
- For a year, you will receive free Korean language training
- Korean universities waive their application fees.
- A total of 200,000 KRW has been set aside as a settlement allowance
- Monthly medical insurance of 60,000 KRW
- Research support
- Monthly awards of 100,000 KRW for the Korean proficiency
- A citizen of one of the Global Korea Scholarship partner nations is essential.
- To keep the scholarship, a candidate must maintain his GPA.
- Candidates must be under the age of 25.
- Candidates with an associate degree or who are anticipated to graduate by February 28, 2022, are only eligible to apply for the bachelor’s degree.
- The candidate must not be a dual citizen or have Korean citizenship.
- Candidates must be in decent physical condition.
- Candidates must have completed or be anticipated to complete a bachelor’s degree program or an associate degree program before February 28, 2022.
Available Programs Under GKS Scholarships:
- Entertainment & Sports
- Liberal Arts & Social Science
- Natural Science
GKS Scholarship Application Form for Undergraduate and Postgraduates:
Embassy Track and University Track GKS Scholarship application methods are the two options for applying to GKS-U Scholarships for 2022 session. The GKS Scholarships application forms are available on both methods as explained here:
#1 Embassy Track:
The Korean government will choose 125 overseas students from 67 countries for bachelor’s degree programs under GKS Embassy Track. Embassy Track candidates must submit their required documents to the Republic of Korea’s Embassy in their respective countries of citizenship, and they are eligible to apply to any of the 38 approved institutions’ accessible fields of study.
#2 University Track:
The Korean government will choose 60 foreign students from 72 countries for undergraduate studies and 35 international students from 17 countries for associate degree programs through GKS University Track. Natural Science and Engineering majors are the only ones eligible for the Regional University Track. Applicants who wish to apply to GKS through the University Track must do so through the University of their choice.
Documents Required for GKS Scholarship:
All documentation submitted by candidates must be written in Korean or English. All application documents must be sent in their original form. If an applicant is required to provide photocopied papers, the photocopies must be notarized, better viewing, or get consular confirmation before being submitted.
- Scholarship application form
- Research proposal, study plan, publications (if any)
- High school graduation certificate
- GKS Application agreement
- Particular medical assistance
- Recommendation letters (2 in numbers)
- Personal statement
- Graduation transcript
- Citizenship document proof
- Applicant’s parent’s citizenship proof
- Certificates and other awards (optional)
- Valid TOPIK scoring certificate (optional)
- Valid English proficiency exam certificate (optional)
- Proof of ancestors of Korean war veterans (only for ancestors of Korean war veterans)
- Proof of a Korean document issued outside of Korea (only for overseas Korean)
- Proof of renunciation of Korean citizenship (only for former Korean citizenship holders)
The GKS Scholarship application procedure is extensive, and you must complete each step. You can apply through either the Embassy Track or the University Track.
- The Republic of Korea has 67 embassies across the world (Embassy track)
- NIIED has designated 30 Korean universities (University Track)
GKS Application Procedure through Embassy Track
If you are sponsored by a Korean university or government-related organization, please apply through the Korean embassy. The university will recommend you as their GKS candidate and send the nomination to NIIED, but the NIIED will make the final decision.
Almost all degrees are acceptable, except for medicine, dentistry, architecture, and pharmacy. The method and directions for what to do will be provided by the embassy.
GKS Application Procedure through University Track
Candidates must apply directly to the university through University Track. The university has recommended you as a GKS candidate for 2022 and will forward your candidacy to the NIIED, which will make the ultimate decision.
This method is only available to Engineering and Natural Sciences majors, except for medicine, dentistry, architecture, and pharmacy.
Preferred Students for GKS Scholarship:
Applicants for GKS scholarships who meet the following requirements will be given priority by the Korean government:
- Applicants who earned TOPIK level 3 or higher would receive 10% more bonus points.
- Descendants of Korean War soldiers will receive a 5% bonus.
- Applicants with IELTS will be given priority over others.
- Applicants who applied through the embassy route in the disciplines of natural sciences or engineering would be given priority.
- Applicants who apply for an associate degree and hold a national or international winning certificate will be given preference.
- Applicants from low-income households or underserved regions will be given priority over others.
GKS Undergrad Scholarship Application Deadline:
Each Korean Embassy or University that accepts applications sets the deadline for the Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) by 2022. By contacting the appropriate embassy or preferred university directly, all applicants should double-check the application registration deadline.