We are announcing the opening of the fully-funded Global Korean Scholarships (GKS) 2023 academic session; on which Korean and International students are requested to submit online applications. The applications for GKS 2023 academic session will be evaluated in 2022.
So have you ever dreamt of studying in Korea? Well, you can now stop fantasying about it and actually study in Korea!
The Global Korea Scholarship 2023 now offers you a chance to study in Korea, as the web portal has been opened up for all its eligible candidates to apply.
formerly known as the Korean Government Scholarships or GKS for short now, is a fully-funded Korean scholarship program sponsored by the Government of Korea and The Education Ministry of Korea. The scholarships are available for undergraduate, master’s, and Ph.D. level students. The 95% of Koreas universities offer GKS scholarships.
220 GKS scholarships are present for international students, whereas only 1080 students will be lucky enough to avail of the scholarship at the graduate level.
Do not worry about the communication barrier, you will have to attend a year-long Korean language course in your designated university.
Students from all around the world are eligible to apply!
Since the web portal has started accepting applications, do not miss out on this amazing opportunity to study in Korea.
The main objective of launching the Global Korea Scholarships is to bring international talent inside Korea so they can learn, study, and teach it to their people. The Korean government strives to improve its relations worldwide through its scholarship programs.
Moreover, the Korean Government would like to be able to proffer deserving students the opportunity to excel in their field and gain exposure to grow.
Duration of GKS Korean Scholarships:
- Excluding the one year of Korean language course:
- The duration of a bachelor’s degree is 5 years, and the duration of a master’s and Ph.D. degree is four years.
Funding Allowances of GKS Korean Scholarships:
You will be provided with the following benefits if you win a fully funded GKS Scholarship:
- A fully funded scholarship and tuition coverage
- Fully funded one year of Korean language course
- One time free return air ticket from home to Korea
- Settlement allowance of 200,00 KRW only once
- Medical Insurance of 20,000 KRW per month
- Monthly allowance:
For degree level students: 900,000 KRW
For research level students: 1,500,00 KRW
- Printing costs of thesis or dissertation ranges from 500,000 to 800,00 KRW
- Research support ranges from 210,000 to 240,000 KRW per semester
- Award for completion of Korean language ability 1000,000 KRW
- Degree completion award 100,000 (given once only)
Eligibility Standards to Apply for GKS Scholarship:
Before applying for the Global Korea GKS Scholarships, you need to ensure that you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicants and both the parents of the applicants must be citizens of any other country than Korea.
- Applicants must not have dual nationality
- Applicants must be a citizen of the country listed in the Global Korea Scholarships Program
- Applicants for undergraduate must be under 25 years old.
- Graduate applicants must be under 40 years old.
- Applicants must have a CGPA of 80% or above
- Applicants must complete their previous degrees.
- Undergraduate program applicants: Applicants must hold a complete high school diploma.
- Master’s program applicants: Applicants applying to the master’s degree programs must possess a bachelor’s degree.
- Ph.D. Program applicants: Students applying to a Ph.D. degree program must hold a master’s degree.
- Applicants must not hold possession of the Global Korea Scholarships in the past
- Applicants must be mentally and physically competent to survive in Korea for a lengthy period
GKS Scholarship Selection Criteria
The Global Korea Scholarship committee choose candidates by analyzing their documents and profile. They ensure that the potential candidate has passed the three rounds of the selection criteria. After passing all three rounds and receiving the perfect health certificate. The committee will notify the respected embassies and the lucky candidates will be granted admission to their dream Korean university.
THE PREFERED CANDIDATES:
The GKS committee gives preference to the following candidates:
- An applicant who received TOPIK level 3 or above will get 10% more additional points during the selection process.
- Descendants of Korean War veterans will get 5% more marks during the selection process.
- Applicants who passed the English proficiency test like IELTS will be preferred.
- An applicant who has a proficiency certificate in any language will have preference over other applicants.
- Applicants who applied in the fields of natural sciences or engineering through the embassy track will be preferred.
- Applicants who applied for an associate degree and have a winning certificate of the national or international level will be preferred.
- Applicants who belong to low-income families or underprivileged areas will be preferred over other applicants
GKS Scholarship Application Submission Process:
There are two simple ways to apply to the GKS program 2023-2024.
You may pick the method that is most feasible to you.
Method 1: Applying to the desired Korean university directly:
You may submit all your applications to your desired university choice. All the required documents need to be mailed directly to the university through the post.
Seventy-two international students from sixty-seven countries for bachelor’s degrees and thirty-five international students from seventeen countries for the associate degree are selected through this procedure.
The applicant must pass the first selection process proposed by the respected university.
Keep in mind that if you are applying directly to the university of your choice, you do not get to apply for another university. This limits your option to apply to more Korean universities. Your limit is one Korean university.
Method 2: Applying through the Korean Embassy:
You are required to submit all your documents and attested papers to the Korean embassy in your country.
You need to pass two rounds of the embassy track process to reach the third and final round.
Only 125 students from sixty-seven countries will get admission in the undergraduate degree through the embassy procedure. The applicants too, need to pass the first selection prices of their resected country.
Applying through the Korean embassy procedure you can apply to a maximum of three Korean universities.
GKS Scholarship Application Document Checklist:
If you have decided you want to apply for the Global Korea Scholarships 2023-2024, then go through the list of the required documents below and make sure you can get hands-on all of them:
- Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) form
- Personal Statement
- Research Proposal
- Study Plan
- Two letters of recommendation
- Medical test results
- GKS applicant agreement
- Letter of Motivation
- Applicant’s ID card or passport copy
- Applicant’s parents’ ID card or passport copy
- CV for Scholarships
- Certificate of high school graduation (or expected graduation certificate)
- High school grade transcripts
- Applicant’s proof of citizenship document
- Applicant’s parent’s proof of citizenship document
- Awards and other certificates (optional)
- Certificate of valid TOPIK score (optional)
- Certificate of English proficiency test scores (optional)
- Proof of Korean war veteran’s descendants (only for Korean war veteran’s descendants)
- Proof of overseas Korean document (only for overseas Korean)
- Proof of Korean citizenship renunciation document (only for previous Korean citizenship holders)
KEY POINTS TO KEEP IN MIND:
- All the applicant’s documents must be written in Korean or English
- All the documents submitted to the NIIED will not be returned.
- All the documents must be in original form.
- The application documents must be arranged in the order of the checklist present on the front page of the application form.
- Any incomplete application will be rejected
- Make sure all the documents are numbered and labeled on the top right corner
- If you are yet to graduate, then you are required to submit a letter that mentions your expected date of graduation
- The recommendation letter must be written by two different recommenders
- The recommenders must seal the recommendation letter in an envelope and sign it on the back of the envelope
- The proof of citizenship must be government-issued documents.
- Photocopies of awards and certificates are acceptable
- Embassy track applicants must submit 1 set of original documents and 3 sets of photocopied documents.
- University track applicants must only submit 1 set of original application documents.
GKS Scholarship Application Deadline:
The application deadlines for the Global Korea Scholarships vary according to the country you are residing in. The GKS 2023 applications will be opened on March 18th, 2022.
Though there is no definite date provided when the deadline is due, you may contact your embassy to receive any information regarding the deadline.
Or if you have applied directly to the university, then you may check the official website of the university and keep track of the deadline.